MEGANE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 DCI OASIS 2006 55 PLATE.

MEGANE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM.

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:51 am

Hello,

I have a megane II 1.5 DCI Oasis, and so far its been okay. When I bought it 6 months ago the Air Con was working okay. I have been using it on and off and just lately with the sun coming out I have needed it to cool the car down inside. But on this occasion I switched it on but no click from the compressor and now increase in revs. This was apparent on all blower settings. I drove it to my destination and tried it again and the compressor clicked and there was an increase in revs. Over the next couple of days I tried it and found that first thing in the morning it would not work when it was cold and when the engine had warmed up and it was warmish outside the compressor would kick in. I spoke to an air con man and he said that the gas was probably low and the pressure switch was kicking in and out inhibiting the compressor (Boyles law- temp increase, pressure increases). Well I took it to the air con man and he leaked checked it fine, it was low on gas and refilled it and did all the vent tests okay. I picked it up yesterday all fine. When I drove it to work I thought I would give a blast on cold but when I switch on the air con no compressor kick in. I switched off the engine and back on again and tried it , it worked. It was cold outside 6 degrees and I am wondering if there is any temp sensor that controls the air con. I say this because the owners manual says that air con will not work if it is cold outside. My Megane is just a manual air con system but I do not know what other sensors are controlling the air con apart from the tri function pressure switch ( low gas sensing/over pressure). Any ideas? :?:

Scenic
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Scenic 111 1.9dci 2010

Re: MEGANE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM.

Postby Scenic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:03 pm

If as you say the air temp is cool then the air con wont come on until the outside temp rises above a certain temp controlled by the sensors, you may have a faulty sensor not allowing it to come on and is set too high.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 pm

6 degrees is touch and go with the megane. My old Almera will work below freezing because it uses old specification (ozone layer killing) refrigerant. Modern cars are more likely not to work. Wait for warmer weather and try again.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I just think the megane air con system is a bit crazy. They tell you should run your air con system frequently to keep the seals lubricated but in the case of the megane, if the outside temperature was very cold then the sensor set up would stop the air con compressor from circulating the gas.

I will keep an eye on it but I am trying to find out where the sensors are.

I believe the pressure sensor is fitted to the high pressure supply. I will try and find what other sensors control the air con.
Does anyone know of a circuit diagram for the air con system?

Regards :-)

Scenic
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Scenic 111 1.9dci 2010

Postby Scenic » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:26 pm

You will find it under stickies on the problem page "Index of Manuals and Technical Notes" by Alexb however I have done the search for you under this link-

https://ray-lee.co.uk/megane/dialogys/6001A.pdf

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 pm

When the air con works it is very cold. But today the air con stopped working after 15 mins. I came to a stop and try the air con, no click from compressor and no increase in revs. The strange thing is if you stop the engine and restart it and try the air con, hey presto the air con is pumping out ice cold. I presume if the car registers a fault from a sensor it will latch it?

Regards

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Fault codes will be stored and you might be able to read them with a ELM327 interface. Otherwise you will need to phone an auto-electrician who has a CLIP computer.

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi,

Many thanks for this info. I have been looking at the diagrams to get some idea what sensors my car has got. It is a 2006 1.5 DCI Oasis with Manual Air Conditioning (not climate control). So I am thinking that the only sensor that could be affecting it would be a dodgy pressure switch or a dodgy connection with the compressor. Are the pressure switches notorious for being faulty?

What about the ones off ebay, they seem cheap at about £36.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Conditioning- ... 4cf4298564

Regards :-)

direstraits
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: History: Renault Megane II Touring 1.5 dci 106HP, Clio III 1.2 16v 75HP
Laguna III Ph2 Exception

Postby direstraits » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Another important thing with aircon: compressor won't kick in (or will kick in and then shut off) if there is insufficient gas pressure/gas quantity in the system. Megane II AC system is notorious for leaks. Check if there is enough gas in the system (don't forget the compressor oil).
2008-2011 MII GT 1.5 dCi 106HP,
2011- Laguna III ST Excep. 1.5 dCi 110 FAP 17" 215/50 Mich. Primacy HP, 16" 195/60 Mich. A4
2012- Clio III 5d Avant. 1.5 dCi 75 FAP 15" 185/60 Mich. Energy Saver, 15" 185/60 ContiWinterContact TS800

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

The sensors do fail. From memory they can be replaced without loss of refrigerant. Double check before removing anything.

As direstraits says, have the system checked. I swear by Kwik Fit for this - they have a seasonal offer of £25 for a re-gas. You get a receipt telling you how much is removed and then replenished. It checks for leaks also.

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:58 am

My system has been checked for leaks and regassed last Monday. When it does work the air is freezing.

Return to “Problems / Questions”