Strange noise when accelerating

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AlanTR
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 dCI Tech Run (106 bhp)
MG TF

Strange noise when accelerating

Postby AlanTR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:48 pm

This concerns my stepdaughter's '04 Megane 1.5 dCi (86 bhp) which has done approx 52K miles. The car has a full Renault dealer service history. This car used to be mine (from new) 2 years ago and I drive an '08 1.5 dCi (106 bhp) model now.

When you accelerate hard, there is a hissing/whooshing sound ("sounds like air"). Once you reach your desired speed, the noise disappears and everything sounds normal. I test drove the car this afternoon and the performance seems to be ok and the exhaust is clean.

She's had the car to a local dealer who wants £60 just to investigate it. Anybody had this experience or got any ideas what it might be??? Any advice much appreciated.

shawty500
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane Cabriolet 1.9 Dci

Re: Strange noise when accelerating

Postby shawty500 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:12 pm

possibly air filter? take it out, give it a clean, maybe change it.

I get a hissing sound, more of a whistle, but thats definately the turbo (normal) but having had it yourself, and having another turbo diesel, that obviously isnt your concern

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm

I would check all the air hoses for splits and or loose connections. Check the intercooler hasn't split (has been known to happen on some diesels - but not all models). Make sure the turbo actuator moves freely by hand and springs back. I'm assuming that the noise only occurs when you are commanding acceleration by opening the throttle at low engine speeds and that the sound disappears when the revs increase (experiment if not known). If that is the case, then my car does the same; not entirely sure why, but it doesn't present as a problem.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

darkmast3r
Learner Driver

Postby darkmast3r » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:03 pm

My 1.5 dci 53 plate does the same, seems as if there's not enough sound proofing there but the car drives fine

Return to “Problems / Questions”