Renault Megane 2003 1.4 Extreme grinding noise

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

xmichael

Renault Megane 2003 1.4 Extreme grinding noise

Postby xmichael » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 am

Hello guys, recently, my Renault Megane developed a slight grinding noise and I hope you could provide some suggestions as to what could be wrong.

About a month ago, when the temperature dropped way below 0C, my car started developing a grinding noise. It almost always happens when you start it from cold and accelerate very slowly. You do not have to change gears to hear it. When I move off and drive for a few meters, I can hear the noise coming from the front and it lasts about 2sec. After that, it dissapears and you won't be able to hear it again unless you leave the car sitting for a while and start it again.

Sometimes when I drive over road bumps I can hear it too. The interesting thing about it is that when I roll my windows down to try to locate where it's coming from, I can't hear it at all. unless it's just my hearing...

I think I need to mention that the car was involved in a very minor collision three weeks ago. However, there was no damage done, not even cosmetic, I just nodged my dad's car when moving off and put a dent in his door... (Car was not making any other noises afterwards)

The car is getting looked at next week. Most likely on wednesday.

Just to let you know...

-When changing gears - no unusual noises.
-Clutch working perfectly
-Engine working smoothly and very quiet, its got only 43000miles on it.

I was thinking it could be one of the following.

- Brake pads.
- Wheel bearings.
- CV joints.
- Possible driveshaft problem?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Renault Megane 2003 1.4 Extreme grinding noise

Postby davelowe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't really have much to suggest other than to check the front springs and the exhaust, other to what you have already mentioned.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

xmichael

Re: Renault Megane 2003 1.4 Extreme grinding noise

Postby xmichael » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:52 pm

It seems like everything has come back to normal after temperature outside went above 0C. No noises, no grinding...

Weird...

Return to “Problems / Questions”