1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel 03/04

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kevinfourlegs
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Scenic 1.5 dCi Dynamique Tom Tom

1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel 03/04

Postby kevinfourlegs » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:24 am

As per the title.

My daughter has decided that she wishes that she had a car, or rather a driving licence. She will be 21 shortly. As I am a Renault nut and the Megane II is my favourite of the recent era, I am looking at purchasing one as a second car for me and a main car for my daughter, hence the small engine.

I have a Scenic dCi on a 13 plate. This is unsuitable for Stacey to learn in. For a start it has an electronic parking brake, which can only be released by pulling away in gear or with the foot on brake pedal, so not a proper handbrake. Also it has hill assist, which cannot be turned off, so it is no use for a novice driver to learn how to do a hill start. I have the Scenic as I osteoarthritis and as a daily driver, it is high enough for me to get in and out of easily. I will use the Megane occassionally, but not daily, so I will live with the getting in and out of it.

In an ideal world I would have a 12 Gordini and an R26.R as my second vehicles, but as this is the real world, my daughter comes first and both are not suitable, hence a 1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel. Besides, I think I would struggle with the seats in an R26.R!!

Has anybody on here had both the 1.4 or 1.5? I know some will prefer petrol to diesel and vice versa, but I do not mind which.

I know that both will have or have had their issues of some description. I do not mind a niggle or two, which on a car that is over ten years old has to be expected. Reliability is preferred, as my daughter is not technically minded, but is slowly learning.

All positive replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: 1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel 03/04

Postby Stranger » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:58 pm

My wife had 3 x 1.5 dCi Modus'. I thought it was a fantastic engine and the Modus a great car, typical narrow power band PD engine but once you get used to it that's not a prolem. It'd happily sit at 70 all day whilst also being great to drive around town.

56mpg (calculated), cheap service costs, cheap RFL.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Diesel every time for me. £30 road tax, 62mpg and an unbelievably low insurance group.

Whatever you buy check the service history and make sure all things electrical work.

:)

I miss my Megane, the Clio isn't half as comfy.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

biggydoug
Passed Theory

Postby biggydoug » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 pm

Go for the diesel I had 03 1.5 could do a 700 mile trip on a full tank and still have a quarter left not got the car now as the themostat went and that caused head gasket problem

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”